Thursday, December 1, 2011

Soda Las Palmas


Costa Rica is definitely not known for their diverse food culture and a prominent food history but there are certain items you can find at just about any Costa Rican restaurant such as arroz con pollo (rice with chicken), gallo pinto (rice with beans), fried yucca, etc. One of my absolute favorite places near where I live has all these items and more. It is sort of off the beaten path in area of Villa Real just east of Tamarindo and if I had a great sense of direction I’d tell you exactly how to get there but this is all I’ve got: as you drive away from Tamarindo on the main road you eventually come to a main street where you can go right or left, take a right (this is all Villa Real) and after driving about ¾ of a mile you will see a field and school on your left and there will be an awkward left turn that will bring you behind the field and on the right hand side of that street you will find the Costa Rican jewel: Soda las Palmas. 

The restaurant is only open for lunch and features a buffet and drinks. The Soda (Costa Rican restaurant) is an open air design and the space can fill up quick at peak lunch hours. For those of you who are not so great at Spanish (like me) you can just point to the items that look appealing and they will pile up the plate for you. My ideal plate if they have the items that day is: arroz con pollo, the purple colored potato salad (its beets and potatoes), the amazing fresh salsa, the shredded chicken in a light red sauce and fried yucca or plantains. Bring your appetite as the servings are very big and sometimes I run wild piling up the plate. Last week when I went, I shared a plate with my boyfriend and felt full but not bloated like I usually am after a plate to myself. On the table there are onions in a vinegar hot sauce and if you like serious spice, add some to your plate- I love them! There is also the typical Lizano on every table but not in the usual bottle so taste test the sauce before dumping it on your food; two are very spicy. 

To quench your thirst all of the fresh juices are unbelievably good and refreshing. My boyfriend happens to hate the carrot juice so if you fall into that category, avoid the dark orange colored juice. I happen to love it and it’s my favorite, so to each his/her own. I don’t know what they do to the juices but they are truly refreshing and, if possible, make the meal even better. Don’t avoid the juices just because they’re made with tap water. I drink tap water all the time down here and have never had an issue. 

Soda las Palmas is the one of the few places I crave when I am back in the United States. Besides the true local vibe of the place, the food is the most Costa Rican you can get and with a giant plate and drink costing between $6-10 (depending on how much you pile on) it is beyond worth it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment