Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dragonfly Bar & Grill




As a chef the first question people inevitably ask me is: What is your specialty? And I usually spout some answer about how I never had a job that focused me on what particular type of food and therefore my range of cooking is varied. But the real answer is that my specialty is and always has been: pasta. Even before culinary school took hold of me and my cooking I cooked pasta dishes like a pro. And this isn't me bragging (well maybe a little) because if you know me I rarely love what I cook but pasta has always had my heart and taste buds from an early age. I attribute this love of Italian carbs to my very first job as a babysitter at the young age of 11 (side note: who leaves their children with an 11-year-old?). I babysat for a family who used to live in Italy for four years and their mother made the most amazing pasta dishes and I quickly learned from her and haven't stopped making pasta and Italian dishes since. A creamy pasta dish with mushrooms with a side of a Shake Shack burger would probably be my last meal if I were on death row. And the place I would have create my heavenly mushroom pasta meal would be The Dragonfly in Tamarindo. Their combination of wild mushrooms, cream, a hint of sherry and perfectly al-dente raviolis filled with spinach and ricotta and then topped with parmesan is out-of-this-world delicious. I have been to this restaurant twice and ordered it both times and both times I have wanted to order a second helping. It is truly a dish made for me. To boot the other dishes my boyfriend and I have ordered are always presented with style and have flavor profiles that wow the senses. On our last venture to Dragonfly the BF ordered a special of sea bass with grilled fennel and a citrus sauce on top of a medley of couscous with a side of tzatziki and sautéed green olives. As always with Dragonfly, he was not disappointed. We also ordered a starter of corn and jalapeno fritters, which were good, but on the heavy side and probably not something I would order again. Dragonfly has not yet let me down and it is somewhere you should experience if staying near Tamarindo. This restaurant is considered a little more upscale (including the price) but if you're looking for a place for a great date night (hint, hint BF) or to wow the family, look no further! 



*The online menu does not have the ravioli dish for some reason but as of a couple weeks ago it was on the restaurant menu

No comments:

Post a Comment